Friday, June 12, 2015

Oasis in Kentucky -- by way of hospital

Suffice it to say, Kentucky was quite the saga.

I traveled there on Thursday, June 4, for the Midway Island Reunion and interview in Louisville for another book I am writing, and had planned to weave in some book signings for Oasis: Conversion Stories of Hollywood Legends.

As the saying goes, life is what happens while you're busy making other plans. But for the first several hours, everything was going exactly according to plan.

As I began to wend my way south to Glasgow, I stopped by the Shoppes at Plainview Barnes & Noble -- just outside Louisville -- to sign books.

Then I headed south, arriving about 2 hours later, and got settled in at lovely Hall House, discovering, to my delight, I had just gained one hour because Glasgow is on Central Time.

That evening, Thursday, June 4, I broke my right wrist at the opening night event. I was supposed to have surgery on Friday, June 5, but I was not told not to eat, so surgery was postponed 'til Saturday, which was fortuitous for many reasons, not least of which, though writhing in pain, I was able to hear veterans of the Battle of Midway speak.

Afterwards I was photographed in front of this completely refurbished 1942 military jeep.

I had major surgery on Saturday, June 6, and recuperated all day.

On Sunday morning, June 7, at 7:15 AM, I had a radio interview on WCLU, a small local station. (Please note, some interaction with host, JP Johnson, was cut, so, at one point, it sounds like I was talking continuously.)

Then I attended mass at St. Helen's, amazingly, a short block away from the historic bed & breakfast where I was staying. My legs were propped up on pew bench during most of the service since, not surprisingly, I was feeling lightheaded.  Afterwards, I had a lovely breakfast at Hall House and packed with the help of the innkeeper and then had some wonderful guardian angels who drove me for the rest of the day to my various destinations.  On the way out, we stopped by the hospital because the receptionist wanted a signed copy of Oasis: Conversion Stories of Hollywood Legends. Then, it was up to Elizabethtown where I signed books at Barnes & Noble for two hours.

Afterwards, we wended our way up to Louisville. That evening I had dinner with a lovely couple, Lisa and Gary Rodemeier. [Lisa breeds thoroughbreds and designs Kentucky Derby hats (Madame Foo Foo) and Gary is long-time broadcaster for the ABC TV affiliate]. On way back into town, where I was staying at the storied Seelbach Hotel, I signed a few copies at Summit Plaza Barnes & Noble outside Louisville. 

For more information about Oasis, see and click on book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment